Thursday, November 14, 2013

Diapering in Moscow

Ah, the joys of being a New Mom and an Inexperienced Expat.  My latest challenge is buying disposable diapers in Russia. Once again, it's a learning experience and something that stresses me out.

Why? 

First off, sizing. They put 1, 2, 3 etc on the packages just like in the US but the weight ranges are slightly different. AND they're in kilograms! Not a huge deal, but I didn't realize it at first and it makes all of them seem teeny tiny (e.g.  some size 1s are 3-6 kg)!

Second, brand availability. In the stores near our apartment, it seems that Huggies and some Japanese (I think?) brands are the only diapers they sell. Mind you, PAMPERS is the brand I like! Let the sweating begin.

If you like Huggies, lots of choices.

And here are some Japanese(?) kind that are everywhere, inexplicably called "Merries."

Third, naming. This one is kind of weird/funny. All disposable diapers are actually called "Pampers," (weird!) but the Russians pronounce it "Pompers" (funny!). And from prior experience, I've learned that they won't understand you unless you say it their way. So you go to a store, ask for "Pompers" and they point you to the Huggies display. What?? That's right, more sweating.

Fourth and final issue (so far) is styles. They don't seem to use the same names for the different diaper "styles." Once I finally found the Pampers Pompers (haha, still makes me chuckle) instead of Huggies, I didn't see "our" style. No Swaddlers, no Sensitive and no Baby Dry. Instead they sell "Premium Care," "Active Baby" and "New Baby." Yikes, now what?

After testing out a few different kinds, I think I've settled on "Premium Care" which looks and is sized close to the States' "Sensitive" line, just without the little indicator strip that turns color when it's wet. Strangely, both "Active Baby" and I believe "New Baby" do have the strip (but the sizing on these was just a bit too big for Beau) so it's hard to tell what is actually so premium about them. Oh well.

I do feel like I've worked it out now, so the score is now Moscow - 25,000, CB - 1. :)

Success! Pampers Pompers! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment